These models are taking the fashion world by storm not just in their home country of India but also internationally.
Read on to discover the top Indian models of the moment.
1. Bhumika Arora
Born in New Delhi, Bhumika was named the next Indian supermodel by Indian Vogue.
She has worked for numerous large publications including Teen and British Vogue, and she has worked for the likes of Alexander Wang, Vera Wang, Fendi, Karl Lagerfeld, Hermes and Chanel.
2. Monikangana Dutta
Based in Mumbai, Monikangana is a model and actress who has worked with Vivienne Westwood, Mac Cosmetics, Dior and Chloe.
International press called her an ‘exotic Indian beauty’ and is signed by IMG Models. She was the first Indian model to become a Victoria’s Secret Angel.
3. Ujjwala Raut
Ujjwala is considered to be one of the most successful Indian supermodels, having worked with Yves Saint Laurent, Valentino, Dolce & Gabanna and Gucci among others.
She has also walked twice for the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show.
Are you an aspiring Indian model? Register with us today to find out if you have what it takes!
4. Pooja Mor
Pooja started her modelling career when she won the Fresh Face awards in Ahmedabad in 2012. After completing a few editorials, her Instagram was discovered by a New York image consultant.
Pooja initially worked as a freelance model before being approached by and signed to her current agency, Anima Creative Management. In 2015, Pooja debuted at Louis Vuitton‘s Cruise 2016 runway show in Palm Springs.
She has since worked with Givenchy, Roberto Cavalli, Givenchy, Louis Vuitton, Topshop, Elle Magazine and Elie Saab.
5. Erika Packard
Erika was scouted when out shopping in a Bandra market with her mother. She originally wanted to pursue a career in Psychology but was convinced to give modelling a try. She is the daughter of actor Bollywood baddie Gavin Packard.
6. Radhika Nair
Radhika was the first Indian model to walk for Demna Gvasalia Balenciaga SS17 show in Paris. After being scouted in 2012, she moved from Bangalore to Mumbai to pursue modelling as a full-time career.
She has appeared on many high-profile catwalks for brands including Balenciaga, Anna Sui, Chloe, Paul Smith, Miu Miu and Lacoste.
7. Neelam Gill
Neelam may be English but her Indian heritage and stunning doe eyes make her worthy of a mention. She was signed aged 14 to NEXT Model Management and went on to work at London Fashion Week. She was also the first Indian model to feature in a Burberry campaign.
Successful Male Indian Models
– Tony Luke was the first indian model to walk for Krizia Uomo Menswear at the Milan fashion week 2007.
– Rohit Khandelwal was the first Asian to be crowned Mister World in the 2016 contest.
– Karan Oberoi is a fashion and fitness model who has walked over 300 fashion shows around the world.
– Prathamesh Maulingkar won the title of Mister Supranational in the year 2018.
– Prateek Jain was the first Indian man to win the Asian Supermodel Contest.
Is There an Indian Victoria’s Secret Model?
There have been several Indian Victoria’s Secret Models. Monikangana Dutta is their first Indian Victoria’s Secret Angel, while Ujjwala Raut has walked their catwalk twice.
Diversity in Modelling
In the past, the modelling industry has been criticised for its racism and lack of diversity. But in recent years, more ethnicities have been seen both on the runway and in commercial advertising. This has allowed people of all backgrounds to have more opportunities in modelling, though there is still work to be done to create a more equal and fair industry for all.
The same can be said for the film industry. In India, Bollywood allows Indian men and women to see huge levels of fame and success. We have also started to see a rise in famous Indian men and women in Hollywood; Priyanka Chopra is now considered an A-lister both in India and the Western world and is one of the highest-paid Indian entertainers.
Advice for Aspiring Indian Models
Modelling is a difficult industry for anyone to break into, but it can be even harder for aspiring Indian models due to a lack of diversity within the business. However, as the above proves it is not impossible.
If you want to be the next top Indian model, there are several things you can do to improve your chances:
– Create an amazing modelling portfolio. Your portfolio is like your CV and will be taken with you to all modelling interviews. It needs to stand out from the crowd and show off your range and experience as a model.
– Use social media to your advantage. Many models are scouted online now and brands will reach out to influencers online, so having a good Instagram presence will really help improve your opportunities.
– Get signed to a good agency. Getting signed can be hard work, but have patience. It is one of the main things you can do to give yourself a good chance of success. Apply to as many as possible and remember that there is no limit to the number of times you can re-apply. Don’t become despondent if you are not accepted straight away; rejection is an unfortunate but common part of the modelling industry. Keep trying and have patience.
– Enter competitions. As the above shows, many Indian models got their breaks after winning beauty competitions. Even if you don’t win, it will be excellent experience and will help you build a fan base.